vrijdag 6 april 2012

The hell that is blank paper

Having sketched everything and being fairly satisfied with the result, it's time to take the next step. It sounds strange but now I go about erasing (well almost erasing) the sketch I've just made. This might sound a bit counterproductive (or just plain weird) but it's actually very necessary. I've found that if I leave too much pencil on the paper it dirties the coloured pencil and spoils the result, so I all but entirely erase what I've drawn so far, leaving only the lightest of lines to help me fill in everything in the correct place. "Why didn't you just draw very light lines in the first place?", I hear you ask. Well, I have no good reason, except that that is just how I work, that's all! (And stop asking silly questions! :-))

I'm still wanting to run away at this point. I know this sounds affected and I'm wanting to bang my head on the wall for even mentioning it (not in any physical way of course - that would hurt, and I'm not brave), but it is the truth. I could pretend that it's not, maybe even not mention it at all, but I'm trying to tell the whole process here. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who recognize the feeling... like the mountain climber before he tackles the mountain, the car mechanic before he takes the engine to pieces, anyone in fact with a huge task ahead of them. Blank paper is, for me, akin to Mount Everest. Blank paper with a few sketch lines, only marginally less daunting. I mean, look at it!...


Now, tell me you have no sympathy. Well, ok, you probably don't, and that's ok, because now I get to use the coloured pencils...

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten